CLCP needs to collect and use certain types of information about people who may come into contact with the CLCP in order to operate. In addition, it may be required by law to collect and use certain types of information to comply with statutory obligations.
In this Policy, certain terms are used which are defined in the Data Protection Act 1998:
“Personal Data” means data which relates to a living individual who can be identified by that data (such as name, address, date of birth or telephone number).
“process” or “processing” is broadly defined to include obtaining, recording, holding, using, disclosing or erasing data.
“Sensitive Personal Data” includes data relating to race, political opinions, health, sexual life, religious and other similar beliefs, trade union membership, or criminal records.
CLCP must deal with this Personal Data properly however it is collected, recorded and used – whether on paper, in a computer, or recorded on other material – and there are safeguards to ensure its actions are in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
CLCP will ensure that all Personal Data is treated lawfully and correctly and will, through appropriate management:
- observe fully the legal conditions regarding the fair collection and use of information;
- meet its legal obligations to specify the purposes for which information is used;
- collect and process appropriate information only to the extent that it is needed to fulfil operational needs or to comply with any legal requirements;
- ensure the quality of information used;
- apply strict checks to determine the length of time information is held;
- ensure that the rights of people about whom information is held, can be fully exercised under the Data Protection Act 1998. (These include: the right to be informed that processing is being undertaken, the right of access to one’s personal information, the right to prevent processing in certain circumstances and the right to correct, rectify, block or erase information which is regarded as wrong information);
- take appropriate technical and organisational measures against unauthorised or unlawful processing of Personal Data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, Personal Data;
- correct or erase any information on an individual that is inaccurate or misleading;
- not use information for a purpose which is incompatible with the original purpose for which permission was given by the person whose data is being processed;
- obtain clear, express permission for handling and using Sensitive Personal Data;
- treat people justly and fairly whatever their age, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation or ethnicity when dealing with requests for information;
- set out clear procedures for responding to requests for information;
- allocate such resources as may be required to ensure the effective operation of this Policy.
You have a statutory right to request access to the information held on you by the CLCP. CLCP will provide access to such personal information within a maximum of forty (40) days from request. There is no charge for this service.